Purchasing a home using your VA benefits is an amazing way to get into a new home with no down payment requried and a great interest rate.
How to get the VA home loan process started:
- Find the property you would like to buy and arrange the purchase with the seller. You’ll then sign a purchase contract conditional upon approval of a VA guaranteed loan.
- Choose your lender, present your Certificate of Eligibility, and finish the loan application. Your lender will determine your credit and submit a request to the VA to dispatch a licensed appraiser to evaluate the value of the property.
- If the determined value is acceptable to all involved parties, and the lender determines that your loan application meets the VA loan requirements, your mortgage can be approved.
- You (and co-borrower, if applicable) will then attend the loan closing and sign the related papers. The closing escrow agent or attorney will explain loan terms and requirements and monthly payment details.
- After these steps are completed, you will own your own home with a low-interest VA purchase mortgage, with no private monthly mortgage insurance required!
- Please note that when the VA receives report of the loan, the Certificate of Eligibility is adjusted to reflect use of entitlement and is then returned to the veteran.
- No further actions are required to get your COE back, which just makes the overall process easier for veterans.
A common question we get is, “How long does the VA loan approval process actually take?”
The overall period of time it takes for a VA mortgage approval varies depending on the amount of volume the lender has at that moment. It also depends on how quickly the VA borrower is able to respond to documentation requests.
There are some things you can do to ensure your loan process is as quick as possible, such as sending requested documents as soon as possible, working with a knowledgeable VA loan specialist, and making your hours of availability as flexible as you can.